#1 krischan

krischan

Senior Member +

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • My Device:Other

Posted 27 January 2009 - 10:58 PM

This has happened for the n-th time now: After running an application (in this case mobile tv) my GPS receiver is't recognized anymore and I don't know why. No soft reset or cold boot helped, though sometimes the blue LED comes back to life again, but GPS is off. The only "remedy" I found so far is a clean boot, but I'm tired of clean booting my V900 and re-installing all the software.

Has anyone else
  • experienced the same trouble?
  • found a cure?

ignorance is the mother of adventure

#2 phylax

phylax

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4 posts
  • My Device:M800

Posted 27 January 2009 - 11:40 PM

Hi,

tried here to reproduce your problem, started TV reception, turned it off, started GPS application (MagicMaps2Go3), observed satellite signal strength and after a short time got the first fix. Tried it also with built-in GPS viewer. Nothing unusual on my device (latest WWE 060 0372). GPS Port COM7:AGPS, Baudrate : 4800

I'm afraid I have no idea what could cause your GPS problem.

phylax

#3 Rockystratos

Rockystratos

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 11:45 PM

This has happened for the n-th time now: After running an application (in this case mobile tv) my GPS receiver is't recognized anymore and I don't know why. No soft reset or cold boot helped, though sometimes the blue LED comes back to life again, but GPS is off. The only "remedy" I found so far is a clean boot, but I'm tired of clean booting my V900 and re-installing all the software.

Has anyone else

• experienced the same trouble?
  • found a cure?

Hi krischan,

haven't experienced the same, but one thing is a little confusing: You are mentioning that "the blue LED" comes back to life, but that one should be for Bluetooth and not GPS (would be white LED flashing twice).

Just in case, have you checked the COM port settings? Maybe something changes the internal COM port assignment, messing with the auto-recognition of the internal receiver?!

Here is the default:

GPS Program port: COM2

GPS Hardware port: COM4

Baud rate: 57600

Access: Set flag in "Manage GPS automatically"

Hope this helps.

Good luck
Rockystratos

#4 krischan

krischan

Senior Member +

• Members
  • 408 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 02:03 AM

Hi krischan,

haven't experienced the same, but one thing is a little confusing: You are mentioning that "the blue LED" comes back to life, but that one should be for Bluetooth and not GPS (would be white LED flashing twice).

Just in case, have you checked the COM port settings? Maybe something changes the internal COM port assignment, messing with the auto-recognition of the internal receiver?!

Here is the default:

GPS Program port: COM2

GPS Hardware port: COM4

Baud rate: 57600

Access: Set flag in "Manage GPS automatically"

Hope this helps.

Good luck
Rockystratos

You're right, should be the white LED. All GPS settings are as they should be (COM2, COM 4, 57600 bd, check box "Manage GPS automatically" marked).

@ phylax: Mobile TV player was only an example. Last time GPS recognition turned off after I extracted the CAB files from the ExtROM. Before that it happenend when my nav sw crashed. So my humble guess is it has nothing to with those apps at all. It appears to be a bug, but which?

Thanks to both of you for your advice.

Edit: After running a little tool (AutoDetectGPS 1.0, see attachment) GPS was found on port COM2 @ 2400 bd, and the white LED is back again; my nav system detects GPS on COM4 @ 57600 bd as usual. What the heck ... ?

Edit #2: According to the Dutch board eten-benelux.support.pocketinfo.nl - discussions on GPS failures on the DX900 WWE 373 and NLD 365 - it actually is a GPS software bug and sometimes a cold boot (reset hole + power button) helped. afaik they are also working on a patch to be published soon, but my Dutch and google translation are insufficient. Meanwhile you can test a GPS-patch dated Dec. 2008 which is supposed to do the trick, too (see attachment).

Attached Files

#5 dehlya

dehlya

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • My Device:X500

Posted 30 January 2009 - 10:52 AM

btw. Krischan , V900 GPS Port is COM7 AGPS. Does remind me of some threads concerning IGO reprogramming GPS Mouse, relating to place [gps] set_messages=0 within sys.txt before first start of IGO, to prevent IGO messing around. So it seems to me an IGO specific issue , IGO Users usually do know..
McGuider stops searching at COM4 as well (has to be corrected manually ). MN7 does find it correctly.
Btw. Maybe SiRF demo or EMTACs Crux_view or SiRFTech could help. I am not into that, buts worth a try .

Attached Files

#6 krischan

krischan

Senior Member +

• Members
  • 408 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 12:51 PM

Prior to my last misfortune I hadn't been running iGO since some days and it didn't harm my GPS recognition. I'm running MN7 7.3.1 trial now and my settings have been COM4 @ 57600 bd; now it's also COM7 AGPS.

I'm still convinced it's a bug, but I'll try the entry in iGO's sys.txt and check on SirfDemoPPC.

btw: the link in gpspassion is dead, sirfdemoppc here: http://www.sirf.com/SiRFDemoPPC.zip, user manual here: http://www.sirf.com/..._User_Guide.pdf

#7 oleander

oleander

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 03:19 PM

Edit #2: According to the Dutch board eten-benelux.support.pocketinfo.nl - discussions on GPS failures on the DX900 WWE 373 and NLD 365 - it actually is a GPS software bug and sometimes a cold boot (reset hole + power button) helped. afaik they are also working on a patch to be published soon, but my Dutch and google translation are insufficient. Meanwhile you can test a GPS-patch dated Dec. 2008 which is supposed to do the trick, too (see attachment).

Woot! You've saved the day!

Got mine 3 days ago and it was driving me nuts. As soon as the gps had been in use just once, I couldn't use it again.
With the patch installed, it's working again.

Thank you for posting the file.

#8 krischan

krischan

Senior Member +

• Members
  • 408 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 01:17 AM

With the patch installed, it's working again.

Didn't work for me :( and iGo is suspect #1. Any more ideas on how to get GPS back besides crux_view or a clean boot?

#9 thales40

thales40

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:52 AM

Didn't work for me :( and iGo is suspect #1. Any more ideas on how to get GPS back besides crux_view or a clean boot?

Hello Krischian,

Also experienced problems with the GPS. I installed the WWE 372 update on my V900 by the way. After that I installed TT6 and OziExplorer and they both worked with COM7, AGPS (57600). Because I had to fly I completely switched off the V900, by keeping the power-button pressed until dialog appears and confirmed with "Yes". When I arrived at the destination I switched back on and to my surprise the GPS was gone. Well after reading all your posts I should not have been surprised! I was however able to get the GPSViewer to work by altering the External GPS settings. TT6 and OziExplorer still not working. After getting back to default settings GPS was Ok again. Then I installed the patch and..... the GPS was gone again! I deinstalled the patch and switched off the device completely again and after switching on the GPS is working again!

I also played around with the SirfDemoPPC application and found out that COM4 serial also works with 4800 Baud. With this port set I am also able to switch to SirfBinary and use all the Tabs. Have to switch back to NMEA however otherwise TT6 not working anymore. Also after playing with SirfDemoPPC TT6 is not working with COM7, AGPS (57600) anymore and I have to use COM4 on 4800 Baud. Also GPSViewer application hanging. I applied the patch again and after a reset I deinstalled the patch and switched off again. Now everything back to the default settings situation. I'd say the GPS firmware still contains a major bug which is certainly not solved by the patch. In the meantime I'm looking fot a TT6 replacement because TomTom discontinues the PDA SW and only focuses on there own devices. I read that you're using MN7 and was wondering if this is any good?

Bye from Thales40.

#10 dehlya

dehlya

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 10:18 AM

I doubt it , if there is a bug in the GPS firmware* , I would have noticed , since I ain´t got no trouble at all- using MN7 and McGuider 2008 hundreds of hours without any patch or messing around with SiRF Demo . IGO only with setmessages=0 just for a couple of times. Did work too, but I don´t go for it.

But I have to admit, I never actually turn off the phone (the way described) and if I do longer flights , I just put out the battery and in again.

#11 oleander

oleander

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:09 PM

I doubt it , if there is a bug in the GPS firmware*

Wether it's in the GPS firmware or a bug in the OS gps-driver software, I still would postulate that's where the culprit is.

Without the patch, and with no other installed programs than Satellite Data Update and GPS Viewer my gps locks up everytime after the initial fix. Requires a hard reset to get it working again. For just that one more time until next fix... :(

With the patch - no problemo!

.....other than the aforementioned problem with it not correctly entering sleep mode anymore, that is...

#12 dehlya

dehlya

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:48 PM

I would return it for warranty repair. If more than a couple of the devices do behave like yours, we would have heard of it before.

#13 krischan

krischan

Senior Member +

• Members
  • 408 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 10:05 AM

Some more GPS patches provided by Eten/mobile-point.nl for the DX900, may also work on the V900 (see attachments).

Attached Files

#14 jointless

jointless

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • My Device:X800

Posted 09 February 2009 - 09:57 AM

Some more GPS patches provided by Eten/mobile-point.nl for the DX900, may also work on the V900 (see attachments).

I have the same issue, and I got a patch works. Here attached.

Hope it's helpful.

Good luck!

Attached Files

#15 krischan

krischan

Senior Member +

• Members
  • 408 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 01:38 PM

I have the same issue, and I got a patch works. Here attached.

Hey, thanks. This patch actually did work on my V900. Judging from the size it could be the DX900 patch from early Dec. 2008 whereas the larger one from mid Dec. 2008 didn't do the trick.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users